Taking Care of People and Place
Capricornia Catchments is a community support not-for-profit, non-government, organisation that fosters an holistic connection with nature, with offices located in Central Queensland.
It is our mission for Capricornia Catchments to be an organisation that is embedded in the community from a grassroots level, providing engaged and proactive leadership, gaining and sharing knowledge, and to facilitate and nurture the sustainable, innovative and productive use of the region’s natural resources, using a community partnership approach.
Our Core Focus Areas are:
- A holistic approach that sees us taking care of people and the land in which they live and work.
- Initiating meaningful community engagement and participation opportunities across the region.
- Providing information and services to improve wellbeing and productivity.
- Organizing activities to raise awareness and promote continuous improvement of our local environment.
- Coordinating incentive programs for on-ground works and capacity building.
- Supporting catchment and property scale monitoring programs.
- Building partnerships with stakeholders.
- Supporting the planning and implementation of regional natural resource management plans.
60,000 square kms covered
1,500 land managers
What We Do
- Community engagement
- Education programs
- On-gound conservation
- Environmental restoration
- Youth and community engagement
- Threatened species programs
- Pest surveys and management
- Project management
- Marine debris clean-ups
- Environmental data collection
- Training workshops
- Information sessions
- Indigenous engagement
- Community group advocacy
Where We Do It
From our head office at 100 George Street, Rockhampton and our Middlemount office, we cover 60 000km2 within the largest catchment flowing to the Great Barrier Reef.
We serve the catchments of:
- Fitzroy River
- Isaac River
- Mackenzie River
- Calliope River
- Boyne River
- Stix River
- Central Queensland Coastal Catchments